Honduras to improve drinking water and sanitation services with IDB support – Honduras

NEARLY 31,000 HOUSEHOLDS IN RURAL AREAS AND TOWNS OF UP TO 30,000 INHABITANTS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO WATER AND SANITATION SERVICES THROUGH A $ 45 MILLION LOAN APPROVED BY THE IDB.

The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) approved a $ 45 million loan to finance the drinking water and sanitation program in Honduras, which will benefit nearly 31,000 households in rural areas and 30,000 towns. inhabitants by providing them with new and improved equipment. access to these basic services.

The program aims to improve the living conditions of families in rural and peri-urban areas, historically deprived of access to basic drinking water and sanitation services. It will be executed by the Secretaría de Estado en los Despachos de Desarrollo Comunitario, Agua y Saneamiento (SEDECOAS, the Department of Community Development, Water and Sanitation). The project will also help strengthen water security in Honduras, especially in the most vulnerable communities, improve the management of water services to ensure the sustainability of infrastructure investments and build resilience to the environment. climate change.

The program has two main components. The first component, amounting to $ 38.6 million, will be used to build new drinking water distribution and sanitary sewer systems, individual sanitation solutions, and excreta and water treatment systems. worn. These investments will be designed taking into account the potential risks of natural disasters and the effects of climate change. They will also place a strong emphasis on community participation in the operation, maintenance and administration of the systems and on promoting changes in user behavior for proper use of the infrastructure and facilities built. All social management activities will integrate gender and diversity considerations, promoting the equal participation of men and women, especially in training and decision-making.

The second component, amounting to $ 3.21 million, will be used for pre-investment plans and for sector strengthening activities at the level of national, departmental and municipal entities in priority areas in order to strengthen their capacities to planning, monitoring and techniques so that they can better contribute to the sustainability of the system. .

IDB funding comes from two sources: 65% of the ordinary ordinary capital of the Bank, for a term of 25 years, with a grace period of 5.5 years and an interest rate based on LIBOR, and Remaining 35% of concessional funds, which have an amortization period of 40 years, 40 years of grace and 0.25% interest.

About the IDB

the Inter-American Development Bank is one of the main sources of long-term financing of economic, social and institutional projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. In addition to loans, grants and guarantees, the IDB conducts cutting-edge research to offer innovative and sustainable solutions to the most pressing challenges in our region. Founded in 1959 to help accelerate progress in its developing member countries, the IDB continues to work every day to improve lives.


Source link

About Hubert Lee

Check Also

Iran launches matchmaker app as fertility rates drop

DUBAI (Reuters) – Iran, facing declining fertility rates, has launched a state-approved matchmaking app to …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *