!1 new updateClick here for the latest updates
Australian inflation hits highest level in 21 years
Consumer price inflation in Australia hit a 21-year high in the last quarter and is expected to accelerate further as food and energy costs soar, fueling speculation interest rates will have to more than double to control the epidemic.
Powerful 7.1 magnitude earthquake hits northern Philippines
There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries from the earthquake which occurred at a shallow depth of 10 km (6 miles)
SC to deliver verdict on pleas challenging money laundering law today
- The Supreme Court will deliver its judgment on Wednesday on a series of pleas challenging the various provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).
- The verdict of the bench of judges AM Khanwilkar, Dinesh Maheshwari and CT Ravi Kumar is likely to affect a large number of opposition leaders – including Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi of Congress – who are under the scanner of the central agency of ‘investigation.
- On July 15, the Supreme Court said its ruling on pleas challenging the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) was “almost ready”.
National Herald case: ED asks Sonia Gandhi to appear again today
- A day after the Law Enforcement Branch questioned Congresswoman Sonia Gandhi for more than six hours on the second day of her appearance in a money laundering case linked to the National Herald newspaper, the 75-year-old woman was asked to appear again on Wednesday. , officials said.
- She left the agency’s office in central Delhi just before 7 p.m. on Tuesday after recording her statement.
- Officials said on Tuesday Sonia Gandhi was asked to answer about 30 questions about her involvement with the National Herald newspaper and Young Indian, the company under investigation.
An encounter breaks out between security forces and terrorists in JK’s Kulgam
- An encounter broke out between security forces and unidentified terrorists in the Brayihard Kathpora neighborhood of Kulgam on Wednesday morning.
- “The #encounter started in Brayihard Kathpora area of #Kulgam. Police and Army are at work. Further details will follow. @JmuKmrPolice,” Kashmir Area Police tweeted today.
- On July 24, in another similar incident, an encounter broke out between terrorists and security forces in the Rampora area of Kulgam district in south Kashmir, officials said.
- “The encounter started in the Rampora area of Kulgam. Police and security forces are at work,” police said.
Two Indian men charged with gang-related murders in Canada
- Two men of Indian origin have been charged with the alleged murder of two others in gang-related violence in Canada, police say.
- Gursimran Sahota, 24, and Tanvir Khakh, 20, were charged with first-degree murder on Monday, Sergeant David Lee of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said.
- They had been arrested shortly after Meninder Dhaliwal and Satindera Gill were shot dead while in their car on Sunday at the resort village of Whistler in British Columbia.
Magnitude 5.4 earthquake shakes Fayzabad in Afghanistan
- An earthquake measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale hit Fayzabad in Afghanistan in the early hours of Wednesday around 2:07 a.m.
- It occurred 89 km south of Fayzabad at a depth of 200 kilometers.
- There are no reports of casualties or property loss to date.
India to host 2025 ODI Women’s World Cup
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) finally revealed the host countries for the next major ICC tournaments in the women‘s category on Tuesday, with India set to host the marquee for the 50+ World Cup in 2025.
- The next ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup in 2025 will be hosted by India and Sri Lanka will host the ICC Women’s T20 Champions Trophy in 2027, subject to their qualification for the event.
- Bangladesh will host the Women’s T20 World Cup for the second time.